Nutrition Fact of the Week
Holiday meals are always a time when we indulge in all the foods that we love. However, this can leave us feeling bloated, tired, and uncomfortable. While we can’t fully get rid of this feeling they are things we can do to help promote better digestion and feel better throughout the following day.
After the Big Holiday Meal
1. Make a cup of ginger, peppermint, and chamomile tea. This warm beverage can help with digestion and ease stomach discomfort. Adding some chunks of raw ginger will be even more beneficial.
2. No matter how tired you feel do not lay down right after eating. Staying upright and active will help you to avoid acid reflux and indigestion. Try not to lay down for 2-3 hours after your big meal.
The Morning After Holiday Meal
1. Start your day with a hot cup of water with lemon juice. This will help to flush the digestive system and get the body rehydrated.
2. Eat a high insoluble fiber breakfast to help the body flush out the system and get you feeling regular again. A great breakfast idea would be old-fashion oats or steel cut oats topped with berries and cinnamon.
The Rest of the Day After Holiday Meal
1. Make sure you drink lots of water throughout the entire day to continue the flushing of the digestive system and help decrease the bloating feeling. It will also help the insoluble fiber flush the system faster.
2. Eat foods that contain high amounts of insoluble fiber with every meal that you eat throughout the day. Some good sources of insoluble fiber include fruits, vegetables, beans, lentils, nuts, and seeds.
3. Do not sit around. Get up and move. Exercise will help to stimulate the intestines to keep things moving through your body. It will also help you burn some extra calories and make your body feel better.
4. After a fun holiday with lots of drinking and eating foods high in sugar it is time to give your body a break and avoid the alcohol and sugary foods. Your body needs time to recover after all the holiday fun!
#thanksgiving #holidayrecovery #getbackontrack #holidayfun #decreasethebloat #healthychoices #goodnutrition #nutritionfact #weightloss #fitnessnutrition #fitness #crossfit #beachboundcrossfit #deerfieldbeach
By: Amanda Shrake
Dietetics and Nutrition Student
Follow on Instagram and Facebook